Friday, April 17, 2015

Should have taken a picture of the finished product

Because had I taken a picture, you could actually see what I cooked up for lunch today. Instead, this will have to do:

As I mentioned before, I am cooking all sorts of things that I wouldn't have even a year ago. A year ago, I would have most likely opted for the quick and painless lunch out of a can. Lately, it has been leftovers from the night before, but the yield from last night's meal made that out of the question. Ryli wanted chicken noodle soup, but this is April in Texas.

So, knowing that I had all the ingredients on hand, I made a recipe that I had been ogling on the label of the diced tomatoes I use so often. Zucchini, Black Bean & Rice Skillet.It was quick to make, and Landry helped by scooping the cut zucchini and green pepper up and putting them all in the measuring cup. The only alterations I made in the recipe all hinged on the cheese. It had been in the freezer, so I put it on halfway through the rice cooking. Then, of course, I put more partially frozen cheese on Ryli and Landry's bowls, so when they stirred it up, it was at an edible temperature.

The kids insisted on dining outside, so I hauled out the nifty little Ikea table and stools, and they both dug in. Ryli, the black bean-phobic, mowed hers down, declaring the "beany things" delicious. Landry, as is his way, is still munching on his.

Dessert was made yesterday. Pineapple Dump Cake. Easier to make than damn near any dessert ever, and good, too. They claim it isn't photogenic, but I disagree.


Next time we make ham, the quiche recipe on that page is definitely on the menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment